Captain J.H. "Ham" Duffy of the Ohio River Sand Company in Louisville and Richard N. Coolidge, a Pennsylvania engineer, launched Cumberland River Sand Company, Inc. in Nashville. This aerial shot shows the original yard.
A flood inundated the company's main offices and plant area. This photo shows one of the company towboats and a rail car in the floodwaters.
The company was purchased by Johnstown Coal & Coke (R.M. Crichton).
This photo from December 1955 shows the company's screening plant and load-out bins. Trucks would pull under these bins to get a load of sand or different sized gravel. Downtown Nashville is visible in the background. In fact, Titan's stadium – now called LP Field – sits where this photo was taken.
The company is sold to Ingram, a regional producer, marine transporter and distributor of specification sand.
A detailed newspaper write-up featuring the company's history and connection to Nashville.
© 2018 Pine Bluff Sand & Gravel Co., an Equal Opportunity Employer
• Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms & Conditions.